This Sunday for Father’s Day, I’ll be teaching the kids about what it means to “honor your father and mother” (the 5th Commandment). We’ll read scripture, have a discussion, review the coloring and summary page, and complete a card craft that gives 10 reasons why the child honors his/her father.
Here’s the inside of the card (to be completed by each child). And then we’ll fold the card in half and have the kids decorate the outside of the card.
Top 10 Reasons I Honor My Dad (2012)
10. I honor my dad because he reads _____________________________________________________________.
9. I honor my dad because he works _______________________________________________________________.
8. I honor my dad because he’s good at ____________________________________________________________.
7. I honor my dad because he takes care of ________________________________________________________.
6. I honor my dad because he’s strong when _______________________________________________________.
5. I honor my dad because he protects ____________________________________________________________.
6. I honor my dad because he helps _______________________________________________________________.
5. I honor my dad because he makes me laugh when _______________________________________________.
4. I honor my dad because he makes sure _________________________________________________________.
3. I honor my dad because he finds time to _______________________________________________________.
2. I honor my dad because he’s the best __________________________________________________________.
1. I honor my dad because ________________________________________________________________________.
And here’s the lesson plan and take home activity sheet:
THIS WEEK I LEARNED…
This week we learned what it means to honor our father from Exodus 20:12 and Ephesians 6:1-4.
MEMORY VERSE: “Honor your father and mother so that you’ll live a long time…” Exodus 20:12
What are some ways to honor your father?
Why should you listen to and obey your dad?
How can you please God in the way you treat your father?
How is your father like God, your heavenly Father? How are they different?
FUN IDEAS FOR THE KIDS:
· Spend time with your dad this week.
· Ask him about his day at work.
· Notice the things he does for you and thank him for it.